Saturday, October 27, 2007

Hello - this s Rita Speaking #2.....

Cinque Terre - Corniglia

…..we have been traveling now for more than 2 months. We have been to many, many beautiful (and historic cities and ancient villages); we have visited numerous churches, traveled tiny little roads, walked along great beaches, high cliffs, have seen wonderful sunsets, blue skies and rainy days – and still there is more to come. Don’t get me wrong, I like churches, history and old villages - maybe since I grew up in Europe it’s a bit of a different meaning for me. When I hear a church bell ring, it reminds me of my life in Europe, there are churches everywhere and I love the sound of it and I miss it in Vancouver. I miss sitting in the village square having a coffee and a “Blackforest Torte” (a real one..!) This trip is certainly different for me. I enjoy it because I can share it with a very special person who is so “in to it”. Seeing it through Geoff’s eyes is giving me a different perspective of history, of the how and when. But keeping up with Geoff and his list “of must see” is somewhat challenging as well…. But we have adapted a very good strategy, found a good pace that makes us both happy (no, it still does not include lunch).
Knowing that I am most happy in places with water (like Vancouver), I REALLY loved Antibes. What a beautiful place, a lot less “in” than Nice and Cannes - we both enjoyed it very much. I loved the Market Provencal, only 2 minutes from our “home” which offered everything for a good meal. I also managed three runs along the Med Sea and kept thinking how beautiful the colors are, the blues, turquoise and greens – it’s unbelievably beautiful and I had almost forgotten about it. We just finished hiking the Cinque Terre villages and again – it makes us speechless – the beauty of nature! We love it, I love it – that’s what I LOVE!
We had a few rainy days which gave us an opportunity to take it slow….I know, we are on vacation but remember…the “list of must sees” is long and there is exploring on our schedule every day. I was grateful for a little rest. But the weather gave me the chance to finely wear the turtleneck sweater that I bought in a panic in Rouen five week ago! Florence is next and so is….SHOPPING! The “must buy list” is long and we will see how Geoff will do on this excursion….will keep you updated.
“Talk” soon….Rita

No comments: