Friday, October 5, 2007

Hello - this is Rita speaking....

Thought it’s time to hear from me…..and it will not be about history, churches, old buildings and ancient cities – but it’s about us, Geoff and Rita and our trip.
After a fabulous time in Majorca (which was my request) with wonderful sunshine, nothing much to do but our little exercise routine (which by the way has fallen apart since - in lieu of ….well… churches, old buildings and ancient cities), we are in beautiful France. I am not sure why I was thinking a “refresher” in French last fall would help me to “refresh” my memory from more than 30 years ago??? Really, what was I thinking? It all looked and sounded so doable in class but reality is certainly different. When I muster up my courage to ask anyone “if they speak French”? , they reply with a chuckle…yes, of course and a little English too! OK, at least I am asking nicely…Geoff goes right into it: English???? But we are getting around, most people do speak English, at least I can pick up some words, can make a bit of sense of the menus or some of the street signs. I am a bit disappointed by the culinary side so far, maybe we have not been in the right places OR I believe this is more likely, the French do have their main meal at lunchtime. Lunch – that’s not happening for us, we eat a late breakfast, because we get up late and by the time we are hungry, they are done serving lunch and I AM STARVING for the rest of the day….!!! Most days we shared a Sandwich-Baguette and have a café. Since it’s late in the season, most restaurants aren’t even open for dinner….soooooooo mostly we open up Rita’s kitchen. That’s fine as long as I am being fed between breakfast and 8pm. I have learned my lesson (after 10 years with Geoff) and carry granola bars and apples. But when passing all these wonderful Patisseries, Boulangeries, Charcuteries- I should live on apples???? Something’s wrong with that picture – but I am thinking (or does Geoff do some magic brainwork??) …no workout, no gym, how can I justify all this good stuff - so, I stuff myself with another granola bar and shut up!! When we do pick up groceries, it’s a great variety of fruit, cheeses, pates, cold cuts, olives and salad – so it’s all good.
Before I left Vancouver I was a little unsure how it would be to travel for such a long time (remember my luggage restrictions!!!) But I guess the decision to stay a week in most places was a good one. So far, we really lucked out with our choices, all provided what we needed and we could make a little home each time. When I did the research, my main criteria were washing machines (again luggage restrictions), if we ever do this again, we will add the following to the list: Internet and Satellite TV. Funny, some places had TV in their listing, but it’s local TV and we have been without news for a stretch of a week or more. So that will be added to “experience”.
So, all in all – it’s great in Geoff and Rita’s world. So far I only had one incident when I started screaming….”someone, please HELLLLPPPPP, TBC people, please take Geoff back”, but it passed as you can see and read and we will move on with our wonderful and exciting trip. There will be many more churches, old buildings and ancient cities, Geoff will be totally in his element, will take millions of pictures (while I will patiently) he will forget to eat or feed me ….but when do you see a 60 year old behaving like a 18 year old (his happy smile makes it worthwhile!)….it’s fun and we are both happy!
Anyway…thanks for listening to “Rita’s speaking corner”!

1 comment:

Max van de Vev said...

Hello Geoff and Rita,
Hope you're doing well.
Found your blog just by coincidence.
Interesting reading.

Thanks again for choosing Le Logis.
We wish you all the best.
Warmest regards,
Max and Vera