Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Touring West Majorca

Coastline of West Majorca

Street in Valldemossa. Most homes are decorated with flowers on the outside as they do not have any yard space and the flowers are creatively put on the outside wall and along the street.


Well this was our first real day out and about and it was quite the experience. Not only was the scenery spectacular (very mountainous and green), the villages old and quaint (some dating back to the late 1300’s) but the driving definitely got my adrenaline going. After getting off the main highway to visit these smaller villages the road shrinks to a one lane and is twists and turns through the mountains and small villages. The problem is these one lane roads hold two way traffic some of it tour buses!!!!! There is a lot of stopping, backing up and closing your rear view mirror to be able to squeak by. I have driven some of the country roads in England and thought I would be prepared for this. What is really weird is some of these roads in the villages have parking on one side of the road, which makes it impossible for two moving cars to get by. To the regulars, this does not seem to be a problem. Many times I stopped wondering how I was going to get past and the other driver was waving me forwards and we managed to squeak past each other. Definitely makes it impossible for the driver to look at the scenery going past. Visited 4 villages this way and then took the main highway back. It was a relief to be passed as I was doing 120 kph.

This is our new home!!!! One of the houses in Escallencs that are still occupied.

1 comment:

EviTango said...

Hi Geoff, hi Rita,

so it seems as I will be the first one to post a comment. Let me tell you, Geoff, I truly hope that my first day of retirement will look anything like yours! It is a good thing that we leave for SFO + YVR on Sunday, otherwise I could develop a bit of envy ;) Very happy to see that you survived the regular customer treat up in the air and down on the ground ;)
salud, amor y dinero! as the Spanish say. Enjoy your trip, I'll sure check back once in a while
Eva